Bush wants more money for a war that we were not supposed to start and are not winning. Want to know where this money is going? From Huffington Post:
"The amended foreign aid request in President Bush's supplemental package would fund infrastructure and development projects in Iraq and Afghanistan and extend to projects beyond the Middle East. That could provide Democrats with added leverage in their battle with Bush over unrelated domestic spending. Afghanistan is a major aid recipient in the amended request -- about $322 million would be for diplomatic operations there, including $160 million for construction of residential housing and the remainder to provide security for U.S. personnel. Another $100 million is included to help prepare for that country's elections in 2009 and $225 million for the central government to help extend its reach and build trust in outlying regions. The request would provide $115 million for power generators in Kabul and electric power in the northern part of the country and $5 million is for "reconstruction opportunity zones" to help build the economy. Another $50 million would be used to build a road from Kabul to Bamiyan in central Afghanistan, and $5 million is included to help protect Afghan President Hamid Karzai. Iraq would receive about $239 million for the U.S. embassy in Baghdad, while another $125 million would go for economic aid, including $100 million for restarting state-owned enterprises and $25 million for a new private-sector development fund. Another $240 million is requested for Iraqi refugees, with about $160 million to aid refugees in Syria, Jordan and Lebanon, and $80 million to aid displaced refugees inside Iraq."
All for a grand total of $46 billion dollars. 46 BILLION DOLLARS!!!!! And to put things in perspective:
- Part of California is on fire and over a quarter of a million people have been evacuated from their homes
- Millions of people and CHILDREN in our own nation are starving
- Teachers - you know, the people that educated us and through their work helped us find a job to support ourselves - are resorted to finding donors when they need supplies because they get no money for it
- Katrina victims are probably still not doing much better now
- AAAAAAAnd still - $0 for children health care, thanks to our president.