Sunday, November 22, 2009

Long Time No See




My last post was back in August or September I believe, and I have good reason for those of you that care :-)

This past year, I did something I have been wanting to do for a long time - go back to school. I decided that enough was enough and I sold my ass to get accepted into grad school at the University of Texas at Austin. I am now a graduate student working on my masters in civil engineering. I am still working at my job as a project manager, still managing my two projects.

Now due to my ass-selling abilities, I also scored a job at the research campus as a research assistant. Three big perks: 1) I am doing research work on the projects I manage at my office; 2)I score some decent UT employee discounts; and 3) my tuition is paid for by the school. Holla!

However, I have encountered a few drawbacks to working two jobs (not like 80 hours a week but over full time) and going to school is that I rarely have time to mope around or do fun stuff like go to the gym. Second drawback is that I am really tired - by Friday I am running out of steam. Third drawback - I am stressed out pretty bad most of the time. The bad thing about working part time at my old job is that everyone expects for me to get shit done like I was working full time. That means I had to learn to be more productive AND I have to get shit done in X amount of hours instead of >40 hours like the good old days. And that's pretty stressful.

However, the good thing is that this doesn't last forever. Finals are around the corner and I will have a good month with no classes. Also, working at the lab has helped me "release" a lot of pent-up stress and anger by breaking stuff and just doing things that I have always wanted to do. Also, I feel much more knowledgeable in my job - when before, as a manager, I learned enough to get by, now I am learning the intricate details and knowing how shit gets done from research to my desk to the boss. I feel like I have more control over my projects.

Well, enough of this ranting for the one person that reads my blog. Now that I finally budged and got internet at the house AND an iPhone, get ready to hear more of me. Sit down, Jason, you can stop cheering now :-)

No comments: